Friday, 8 February 2013

Judging at the 2013 Freefrom Food Awards



I was honoured to be one of the judges for this years free from food awards, I have followed the awards over the years and feel strongly that as an allergy sufferer myself, they are something to support.  The organisation behind the awards Foods Matter, do a great deal to increase the quality of free from products as well as being a vital platform to raise awareness for smaller producers who are making great food free of allergies and need help to come to the attention of stockists and supermarkets etc.

The categories I was down to judge were, ready meals and sweet treats, biscuits and pastries.  The other judges were a great bunch of industry professionals, intolerance sufferers and the ubiquitous laymen which on the day I was there was the very lovely Ralph!  In the morning we tasted lots of pizzas, soups and one-pot foods, the quality of these were pretty good, and good debate was had over the products that should be shortlisted.  After a short lunch break where no one was very hungry! We started on the sweet category, we certainly ate a lot of biscuits, I personally feel there is still a long way to go with GF biscuit products to bring them up to a standard where a non allergy sufferer would say they were good, there were a few products which stood out from the rest but I can reveal no more until the announcement of the shortlisted products on the 20th February. 

Overall I had a great day, met some lovely people, and I discovered some new brands.  I am very proud to have been a part of the awards this year, and I will of course blog when the shortlist is out, so check back to see which brands made the cut.

For more information about the awards visit www.freefromfoodawards.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment