Sunday, 16 June 2013

Gluten free wrap off

One of the things I was on the look out for at the allergy show last week were some gluten free wraps, I was determined to have chicken fajitas for dinner Saturday night and knew of at least two producers that were going to have them at the show.

When I got to the allergy show I wasn't disappointed, there were plenty of gluten free wraps and as the prices were also lowered for the show, I was pleasantly surprised at the value for money.

I bought bfree wraps and newburn bakehouse wraps at the show, the bfree wraps were slightly more expensive at the show at 2 for £5, newburn bakehouse were selling each pack for £2 each.

gluten free wraps

When I got home Saturday night I decided to use the bfree wraps for the fajitas, they look more like regular tortilla wraps in that they are thinner and round and only come in at 99 calories each.  I wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven and did the same with my husbands regular wraps and got on and made the filling. When we sat down to eat them, the wraps were warm and as such they were slighter tougher than I was imagining and were a little bit chewy, I got my husband to take a bite to compare, and he said his regular ones were a lot softer, I don't want to be negative, they did taste nice, but still not up to the regular standard.  On Sunday I made quesadillas with parma ham, grated cheddar and cherry tomatoes, the bfree wraps tasted a lot better this time and I think that's because they were hot straight out of the pan.

The newburn bakehouse wraps I had the next day folded over as a kind of toasted sandwich, they are definitely softer and as  soon as I bit into the wrap I remembered why I liked it so much when I tried them a few months ago! They have a great taste, are soft and whilst they are slightly thicker still work well folded over.  I also made a pizza with the NB wraps which was also really delicious.


gluten free pizza using NB wrap


Exclusive:  Newburn bakehouse are releasing a seeded wrap on Monday as well as seeded baguettes!  I have been lucky enough to taste it ahead of time and I can tell you that its really delicious and particularly good as a wrap sandwich, yummy!

So overall, there is a place for both wraps in my store cupboard but on taste alone, I would recommend the newburn bakehouse wraps.

Enjoy!

Newburn Bakehouse 
Bfree foods

No comments:

Post a Comment