Thursday, 24 October 2013

Afternoon tea @ Harrods

I was delighted to be asked to try the gluten free afternoon tea at Harrods, they have recently been awarded with coeliac accreditation and as such are safe for people with coeliac condition as well as those with a gluten intolerance.  

When we arrived I was struck with how beautiful the room was, the floral arrangements are large and stunning and it has a traditional yet modern feel to the room. 

Georgian restaurant 
As you would expect from Harrods the service was impeccable, a lovely waiter looked after us and recommended which teas to try.  I went for the Assam gold blend and my husband went for The Georgian blend, with a side order of champagne! Why ever not! The teas were delicious and they were continually topped up throughout the afternoon, my personal favourite was the Georgian blend but both were delicious, you also have a choice of herbal teas if you prefer.  

The silverware is reassuringly heavy and expensive looking and once we were settled with our tea and champagne our food stand was brought to the table,
Sandwiches, Scones and Cakes 
all the food looked delicious and we couldn't wait to tuck in.  we hadn't eaten lunch in anticipation so we got to work on the finger sandwiches straight away, the fillings were: Red pepper and hummus, 
Smoked salmon cream cheese, Ham and mustard, Egg mayo, Chicken and pesto.  The bread was slightly chilled which meant they weren't as soft as I would of liked but still tasted nice. Next were the scones, two fruity and two plain and both slightly warm, they were absolutely delicious! Some of the best gluten free scones I have ever tasted, the cream and jam were so yummy, I stopped at one scone to leave a small space for cakes, I had a pretty looking pink macaroon with a jam filling, the jam was yummy and tasted like the flavour you get  inside doughnuts, the little chocolate petit four was really good, the kumquat jelly was good but had a very strong taste, then there was marzipan inside a plum which was really good, and finally a vanilla meringue.  


We had a wonderful time having GF afternoon tea at Harrods, even with champagne it's really reasonable at £29 per person or £39 with champagne compared with Claridges afternoon tea at £69 per person, its somewhere you could justify going regularly.  It's a great treat and I am already planning a trip back with my mum, I would thoroughly recommend. 

Harrods gluten free afternoon tea in the Georgian Restaurant 
www.harrods.com/georgian-restaurant




3 comments:

  1. Wow sounds great. Many moons ago, (actually 20 years) I was a career trainee at Harrods. This sounds like the perfect excuse to re-visit an old haunt/place of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ater reading your article I was excited to dine at Harrods in the Georgian restaurant for hight tea. On booking I asked for a gluten free high tea, the person taking to booking confirmed this could be arranged.

    on arriving at the desk I confirmed that my high tea was to be gluten free and the seater agreed that was what would be provided. When the tea order was taken I again confirmed gluten free. The high tea arrived and AFTER i had started to eat a wait staff promptly came and took the plate away saying there was a mix up. The food i was eating was NOT gluten free. Needless to say I was terribly ill as a result and would not recommend
    this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete